Wednesday, November 9, 2011

the american geographical society

This past Monday I began work at the American Geographical Society. AGS was established in 1851 and is the oldest geographical society in America. I am not sure as of yet what exactly this non-profit does, but as I gathered thus far, it archives journals of explorers past and present, has a library of any and all books on geography (at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee), as well has provides trips with an accompanying lecturer to various locations throughout the year (Cuba is one of the upcoming trip). AGS also publishes two journals-Focus on Geography and The Geographical Review, as well as a newsletter called UBIQUE, which in Latin means "everywhere"-Get it?? I am not sure how great the circulation is on these publications, especially with National Geographic monopolizing the mass market, but I do believe they still have weight in the academic world.

The first project I gave myself is updating their ancient website. This website was created in 1998 and looks like it has not been updated since. The website seems to me to be a testament to AGS as an entity: a society that was important during the age of exploration, but since then has failed to stay relevant in the 21st Century. I am making it my mission to make this place relevant because geography should always be relevant.

Now I just need to learn how to design a website from scratch...

The AGS's  Fliers and Explorers Globe on which pioneers of exploration
  signed their name alongside the route he/she traveled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment